Wednesday, January 3, 2018

The Time Between

The week between Christmas and New Years has always been a bit of a challenge for me.  There is a feeling of gluttony – from all the presents and eating.  There is also a little bit of a “oh, I just need that one thing” feeling.  There are also gift cards and presents that I don’t really want/need that should be exchanged.  So many obligations!  This is the week to use those gift cards and exchange presents…but it’s been SO COLD I don’t want to go out to do ANYTHING!

We started New Year’s Eve sending off our exchange student back to her own home.  I’m grateful for the experience, delighted that my children were able to experience having someone they weren’t related to in their home.  I’m grateful for having my family introduced to another culture.  I am also saddened that my eldest is experiencing feeling loss at her leaving.  Watching children grow up is a crazy roller-coaster of ride sometimes.

The rest of the day was pretty laid back.  We hung out with family, had some champagne and dinner, and went home way before midnight.   We then lit a fire and just lay there, as a family, for a while.  It has been really cold, and not shivering was a great way to end the night. 

So, New Year is now here, and resolutions are in order…I suppose.  As a family, we’ve been on the simplifying journey for about 12 years or so.  It’s a struggle, and we adjust pretty often.  Sometimes life just gets non-simple on you.  So, what goals do I have this year?
  1. Get the children responsible for 1 chore every day.  This is beyond clean up your room and be responsible for your stuff.  We are starting the young kids with the bathroom – sinks and counters.  I want them to establish some good habits.
  2. Keeping the house presentable.  I’m using the FlyLady method.  This is also helping with goal #1.  Do  little bit every day, establish habits, and don’t stress. 
  3. Health – I cook a lot.  I’m going to continue that.  I’ve not been as good at the consistent exercise routine.  I’m working on establishing that habit.  Walking, running, and biking are my preferred methods of exercise.  However, -10ᴼ F is not ideal for me to be outside for any extended period of time.  I’m working on finding alternative ways besides mall walking. 

That’s enough for now.  I am trying to further simplify my life.  I’ll try to document my hacks as I get to them, but I won’t go too much out of my way.  That wouldn’t be very simple.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Financial Independence - Is it for me?

Financial Independence!!! That's the main topic on my mind today.  There are so many things that I want to do, but I just don't se...